About the PVP
Apexus is the HRSA-designated Prime Vendor for the 340B Drug Pricing Program. In addition to helping 340B entities access the lowest 340B price on covered outpatient drugs, Apexus provides education and technical assistance to all stakeholders, supporting their management of 340B-compliant operations.
Our Role as the Prime Vendor
The 340B Prime Vendor Program (PVP) is managed by Apexus through a contract awarded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), the federal government branch responsible for administering the 340B Drug Pricing Program. The 340B statute requires pharmaceutical drug manufacturers to offer 340B pricing on eligible outpatient drugs; as the Prime Vendor, Apexus secures even further discounts and has established a national network of wholesalers to enable all covered entities to have access to this pricing.
Apexus contracts with suppliers for sub-ceiling discounts on outpatient drug purchases and discounts on other pharmacy-related products and services for participating public hospitals, community health centers, and other safety-net health care providers participating in the 340B program.
How the Apexus Serves Participants as the Prime Vendor
- Negotiates sub-ceiling 340B pricing on branded and generic pharmaceuticals
- Offers Sub-WAC contracts for entities subject to the GPO Prohibition
- Establishes distribution solutions and networks that improve access to affordable medications
- Provides other value-added pharmacy-related products, such as vaccines, to its participants
We are continually working to add distributors to the Prime Vendor network and negotiate a portfolio of drugs below the 340B ceiling pricing so health care organizations participating in the 340B PVP will maximize additional savings, benefits, and value.
About the 340B Prime Vendor Program
The 340B Prime Vendor Program (PVP) enables hospitals, community health centers, clinics, and other safety-net providers to purchase outpatient pharmaceuticals at discounted pricing, thereby expanding access to care to low-income and vulnerable segments of the population.
The program is a free federal benefit to all eligible entities; however, entities are required to register with Apexus to have access to the sub-ceiling pricing. Eighty-seven percent of 340B covered entities are members of the Prime Vendor Program.
Benefits to Covered Entities
- No cost to participate
- Leverages collective purchasing power of PVP participants
- Steeper discounts, as the PVP is the only program with authority to offer total price protection to branded pharmaceutical manufacturers for outpatient covered drugs
- Access to a broad contract portfolio of sub-340B priced products with longer-term contracts to better manage formulary decisions and stabilize budget fluctuations
- Covered entities may continue to use their existing authorized distributors to access the program’s product pricing
- Verification of Prime Vendor pricing and 340B Public Health Service (PHS) ceiling pricing from manufacturers via a secure website
- Compatible with disproportionate share hospitals designated GPO-responsible for securing discounts in the inpatient setting
- Compatible with in-house or contract pharmacies
- Exclusive discounts on other pharmacy-related products, supplies, and services
Benefits to Suppliers
- Expedite product placement for preferred position
- Access to influential teaching hospitals
- Price protection (non-FAMP, ASP, BP)
- Mitigate diversion
- Minimize credit/ rebill activity
- Increase share though marketing initiatives